Students will gain great rewards from using graphic organizers. These aid the child in retelling key events and important pieces of information.
Encourage students to become familiar with a passage’s structure by doing the following:
• Consider all the character in a passage. Record these characters on a graphic organizer.
• Record the story’s setting.
• Record key details in the story’s plot line. In other words, make notes about the sequence of events in the story.
• Pay close attention to the story’s problem. Record this on the graphic organizer.
• Look for a resolution or a solution to the story’s problem; record this on the graphic organizer.
• Use the completed graphic organizer to retell the story.